New Zealand Law Society - Links and key contact information

Links and key contact information

The Law Society has collated links to information the profession may find helpful, and key contact information for agencies and organisations.

LINZ update on services

All LINZ services, including Landonline, are operating during the national state of emergency activated in response to Cyclone Gabrielle.

LINZ is working closely with colleagues across Government to support communities throughout New Zealand affected by the cyclone.

The information below provides advice about changes to LINZ services and will be updated as information comes to hand.

Leaseholders and tenants

LINZ is providing support to tenants and lease holders of LINZ managed properties in cyclone impacted areas.

Tenants and lease holders should contact their property manager at Colliers in the first instance with any requests – residential 0800 444 405 or


Advice to conveyancing professionals with clients affected by Cyclone Gabrielle
Due to travel issues and other significant disruptions in areas affected by Cyclone Gabrielle some practitioners may be unable to meet with new or existing clients in person to take conveyancing instructions.

In these situations, and where practicable, practitioners may follow the guidance set out in the Authority and Identity Requirements and Electronic Signing of Documents Interim Guideline 2020.

Practitioners should retain a file note recording what other reasonable steps were taken to verify the identity of the client.

Authority and Identity Requirements and Electronic Signing of Documents Interim Guideline 2020 - LINZ OP G01247

Related information: Authority and identity and Signing documents remotely.

Overseas investment

Extension to reporting deadlines for overseas investment consent holders affected by cyclone Gabrielle
With the impacts of Cyclone Gabrielle still being felt across the North Island, all reporting deadlines for consent holders affected by the cyclone have been extended until 28 February 2024 so the focus can remain on recovery efforts. This extension will be revisited if necessary.

LINZ will be working on a longer-term strategy to deal with conditions that may not be met or will be significantly impacted by the effects of the cyclone. In the meantime, LINZ will not be taking enforcement action on conditions that consent holders are unable to meet due to the effects of the cyclone.

Related information: Comply with the conditions of your consent

Justice and courts information

Legal Aid

Legal Aid Services is temporarily adjusting the minimum hours Duty Lawyers can claim for rostered shifts, due to the impacts of Cyclone Gabrielle. If a duty lawyer is rostered to be available for the duty lawyer service, he or she may claim a minimum of 2 hours, or the actual hours attended, if that is more than 2 hours.

These changes will apply from Monday 13th February 2023 until further notice. If you have any questions regarding this process, please email them through to

Additional payment to instruct another Provider

As per the Delegations Policy, providers may choose to instruct another provider to complete activities such as research, printing and preparing disclosure etc. Where these activities have occurred, we will approve up to an additional 2 hours at your legal aid rate for the case without requiring an amendment to grant. Your invoice should briefly describe the additional services and reference Cyclone Gabrielle.

Courts operations

The Law Society has updated the profession when new details regarding courts operations become available. Further guidance will be issued on Courts of NZ and the District Court website if the situation changes. The Law Society will continue to update the profession as more guidance and information becomes available through email, our website and our social media channels.

If in doubt, please ring 0800 COURTS for more information, or visit

Civil Defence Centres now open

Civil Defence Centres are open across affected regions for those who need to evacuate and cannot stay with friends or whānau. Please bring with you any essential items you may need, including medication, warm clothing, and baby items.

For an up-to-date list of Civil Defence Centres, visit your local Civil Defence Emergency Management Group Website. For those unable to reach a Civil Defence Centre, please contact your local Civil Defence Emergency Management Group to discuss your options.

Financial support from Work and Income

Support and assistance is available if you've been directly affected by the recent severe weather. There are lots of ways Work and Income can help, and we can point you in the right direction based on your situation. You don't have to be on a benefit.

In emergencies, Work and Income can help with costs if you don't have any other way of paying.

Work and Income can help with:

  • medical costs
  • bedding
  • food
  • power bills
  • repairs or replacing appliances
  • loss of income because you can't work.

Work and Income also provides other help such as benefits and help with paying your housing costs. Everyone’s situation is different, so what you qualify for will depend on your situation. You may have to pay the money back depending on your situation.


Call on 0800 400 100 for help with emergency costs from 8.00am – 5.00pm.

Insurance and lodging a claim

If your home, car, or contents have been damaged by the severe weather, take photos before you remove or repair anything and report it to your insurance company as soon as possible. You only need to contact your insurance company and they’ll let you know what you need to do next, how to claim and – if applicable – how EQ Cover from Toka Tū Ake EQC works.

If you need to make your home safe, sanitary, secure, and weather tight, please record the work done, take before and after photos, and keep copies of the bills you paid.

If you don't have house insurance but do have contents insurance, speak to your insurer about what is covered. Make sure you take lots of photos and keep good records before you throw anything out, where possible.

Free and independent advice is available through Residential Advisory Service (RAS) within MBIE provide advocacy services and advice to homeowners who are navigating insurance claims to remediate damage suffered due to an event. You can contact or ring 0800 777 299, 03 379 7027 for more information.

Support for homeowners following a natural disaster

A new national service providing homeowners with independent support to resolve residential insurance issues resulting from natural disasters, will become available from 20 February, 2023.

The New Zealand Claims Resolution Service (NZCRS) will help homeowners across the country, find resolution, by providing access to legal, engineering and wellbeing support, tailored to their individual needs.

For more information, please visit New national service supporting homeowners affected by a natural disaster | Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment (

EQCover for this event

EQCover provides the following:

  • Landslip damage, EQCover available for damage to house and land
  • if the house is damaged by the landslide, cover available up to the building cap (up to $150k or $300k, depending on policy renewal date)
  • cover for repair or reinstatement of some residential land, up to the value of the insured land.

Flood and storm damage, EQCover only applies to insured land, with private insurers generally providing cover for homes.

Land claims can take some time to resolve and communication between impacted people and their

Tenancy information

If you are the tenant or landlord of a rental property, you can find information on your rights and obligations at or by phoning 0800 TENANCY (0800 836 262).


The following information will also help you with general wellbeing. The importance of trying to get enough sleep during these challenging times

  • Good tips here: (this is a national DHB endorsed health site)

The importance of explaining what is going on to children – talking to them and listening to them

  • Good tips here:
    Mental Well-being options
  1. Anxiety is very common during an emergency event such as a flooding and evacuations. This is a normal response to a very stressful situation. Talking to people and helping others can be both therapeutic and useful.
  2. If you need further support for yourself or for others:
  1. call your general practice, after-hours GP practice or Healthline on 0800 611 116
  2. free-call or text 1737 to talk to a trained counsellor
  3. in an emergency, call 111

For general information on Cyclone Gabrielle and how to keep safe, please visit Civil Defence(external link) for up-to-date information and advice.

Lawyer Listing for Bots